Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Adventures in Baby Food

I think I had mentioned in one of my posts last month that I had planned on attempting to make the girls' baby food. I wasn't sure how it was going to go, if it was going to be too hard, too time consuming, etc. As it turns out, I love it! My friend, Ashley, who made all of her little guy's food lent me her baby food recipe books. The one I absolutely fell in love with was Baby Love by Norah O'Donnell and her husband, Chef Geoff Tracy. Not only are the recipes super easy, but they have their own set of twins (sold)! If they can do it, I can do it, right? ;) I also love that a lot of the recipes for 8 months and older are also ones that I could make for Kyle and I (cinnamon raisin oatmeal, chicken soup...yum). Not only do I know that we are saving a heap by doing this, it's really fun knowing that the girls are eating something that I made for them, and they love everything I've made so far (Campbell didn't care too much for peas, but can I blame her?). I say all of this not to knock Gerber. I think it's perfectly fine to give your babies, and we will certainly be buying some to take with us when we go places. I just wanted to let any moms out there know that this is totally doable and oh-so-easy. So far we've had bananas and rice, sweet potatoes, apples, peas, and tonight we tried pears with prune juice (we are having some regularity issues). This summer I look forward to making some squash, zucchini, and green beans with produce from my father-in-law's garden (organic and free :) In the book, they said it takes an hour for two weeks' worth of food. So far I've just made mine at night here and there after the girls are in bed. Except for the sweet potatoes that have to bake for an hour, everything else has taken me about 20 minutes. Here is a step-by-step of how sweet potatoes went:





Delicious looking, eh?

This is how you freeze it, then just pop them out into a ziplock. When it's time to eat, throw a few cubes in the microwave, and it's ready. 

I promise some adorable pictures of my little piglets scarfing it down, soon. :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment