Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sophie + Dora = BFFs Foreva

So it's no secret that the Nevels ladies are die hard Dora fans. You'd think they watch it 20 of the 24 hours in a day as much as they adore this little latina cutie, but we do our best to limit Dora as much as possible in our house (we cut them off after around 12 hours of Dora viewing per day-someone's gotta set boundaries around here). After talking to several friends, we are fairly convinced that they lace in subliminal messages into these programs. But hey, the girls have already repeated several words in spanish, so I suppose we can't throw Dora into the category of mindless cartoons. 

I digress.

The purpose of this post is to illustrate Sophie's intense love of all things Dora. A few days ago, Aunt Sara shows up at our house with...are you ready...Dora Crocs. Now mind you, I've never been one to put "character" type clothing on my children, nor is Aunt Sara. She is just in the running to become Aunt of the Year and knew the girls would go bananas over these shoes. To say Sophie loved them would be an understatement. I didn't think much of it when she refused to take them off all day. I mean, Dora is her BFF next to Campbell. However, around bed time things started to get a little creepy. She insisted I put them back on her after her bath/PJ's (yes, I did purchase the Dora PJ's for them in a moment of weakness). This seemed a little nuts, even for Sophie. However, the real issue arose when we kissed the girls goodnight and Sophie started screaming her head off, desperately wanting her "shoes." She's tired, I thought. In a few minutes she'll forget all about her giant plastic shoes and drift off into dreamland. 

But no.

After about 5 minutes of pathetic sobbing, I decided I would put the shoes in the crib, she would play with them for a minute or two and then drift off into Dora dreamland.

But no.

She needed the shoes on her feet. So, I did what any good mom would do, and put crocs on my child so she could fall asleep peacefully. 

Success. No more tears, and within a few minutes this girl was conked out, dreaming of her next great adventure with her favorite gal...


...Dora shoes safely on feet. Kyle and I couldn't believe what had just transpired and thought there is no way she will keep these on all night. I mean, HOW ON EARTH CAN IT BE COMFORTABLE TO SLEEP IN CROCS?!


Wrong again. This girl had both shoes on, ready to rock and roll the next morning.

This whole incident actually frighteningly sums up our Sophie girl. In a nutshell. God love her.

Let's hope I stand my ground a little more if/when she asks to get inappropriate body parts pierced someday...

Ay Carumba.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I love this!!! Annie has moved on to Dora too... OBSESSED!!! Please dont tell me where Sara got these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def just laughed out loud! :) I absolutely love hearing this! shes too cute! :) and i am so glad i got to see her in them the next day at the party!!! :)

    ReplyDelete