Wednesday, November 10, 2010

First Bath and Thoughts on Mommyhood

 Well, here I am (almost) 3 weeks into motherhood. As you can imagine, I'm tired. But in the best way possible. If I'm going to be so deliriously tired that I forget my social security number when the doctor's office receptionist asks me for it, it might as well be because I am taking care of the sweetest little blessings imaginable. Here are just a few thoughts on my first few weeks of being a mom:

1. I never thought I could love the little bundle of sweetness that screams/fusses from 3-6 am every night so dang much (yes, Sophie, I'm talking about you!)
2. Being a mom of twins is harder in some ways, and easier in other ways than I had imagined.
3. I must get out of my house every 2-3 days or I start to go crazy. And by crazy, I mean I start fixating on the craziest things, forcing my husband to believe I am really losing it.
4. Hormones take you on the rollercoaster of your life post-pregnancy (see #3).
5. I never thought I would cry tears of joy, love, exhaustion, guilt as much as I have these last 3 weeks.
6. What is it about being a mom that makes you feel guilty about everything
7. I wish more than anything that breast feeding could have worked out with the girls. For a myriad of reasons, it would have been extremely difficult and beyond exhausting for me to make it work. I am still pumping, so the girls are getting some, but it has been much more difficult resigning myself to the reality that they won't be getting it much longer than I ever thought it would be (see #6 on guilt).
8. It has been so much fun watching these little girls grow right before our very eyes. It seems they change on a daily basis. This is rewarding to know that those middle of the night feedings are helping them to become big, strong girls!

I'm sure there are a million other little things I have realized about being a mom, but I'm too tired to remember them all. I'll leave you with some pictures of the girls' first bath at home. What an adventure!

Sophie Kay:
"What are you people doing to me?!"
Campbell Jane:
"Mmmm...that was nice. Can we do it again tomorrow?"
And I just thought this was a humorous portrayal of how many bottles we make/warm/give in one night from 9 pm to 6 am.

I love you, S & C!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Love the post! Those things ring true with every mama! Stop the guilt, you are amazing with those girls and they are blessed to have you as their mama!

    ReplyDelete