Sunday, July 10, 2011

Easy, Quick Recipes

If you're like me, you are sick of cooking the same things over and over. I've made all of the easy, good ones out of my BHG cookbook and all of my "collected" yummy ones. So now, thanks to pinterest (and if I wasn't watching my calories, this amazing website) I've got a few yummy ones. Since easy, yummy, quick recipes are always a big hit with anyone, I thought I'd share 3 I plan on making this week.

Tilapia with Almond Butter
Ok, this one is an oldie but a goodie out of the ol' BHG cookbook. It takes 20 min. or less to make and is one of Kyle's faves (ie. pickiest eater alive).

2-4 Tilapia filets
1/4 C. sliced almonds (I like to get the roasted sliced ones)
1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
1 T. flour
salt and pepper

Sprinkle tilapia with salt, pepper, and flour on each side. Put in skillet over hot oil (cook on med/high heat). Cook the first side for 5-6 min, flip and cook an additional 3-4 min. Take out filets and melt butter in skillet. Once the butter is almost melted, add almonds and cook for 30-60 seconds. Pour over the top of filets.
**To go a little lower cal, sometimes I only put 1 T. of butter in with the almonds

It's delicious. I usually serve with sauteed green beans or asparagus.

Crockpot Lemon Chicken



Do you all need to see pictures of food before you cook it like I do? 

4 Chicken breasts or tenders
3-4 T. butter
1 package italian seasonings dressing mix
Juice of 2 lemons

Put butter in bottom of crockpot. Cook on high 4-5 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. When done, shred chicken and top with the juice mixture. 

I'll be making this tomorrow. I heart 4 ingredient crockpot recipes.

Ground Beef Mac and Cheese Casserole

Ok, I don't know why I'm making this. I'm trying to be healthy. I was under pressure prior to leaving for the grocery store and succumbed to this at the last minute. It had me at "Mac and Cheese."



1 boxed macaroni and cheese, reserve cheese packet
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup of chopped green or red bell pepper,
or use a combination of both
1 large clove of garlic, chopped
1 pound ground beef
1/2 tablespoon of chili powder, or to taste
   (can omit if using Rotel)
1 teaspoon of seasoning salt (like 
Lawry's)
1 (14.5 ounce) can regular diced tomatoes, undrained
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, 
to taste
Shredded pepper jack, cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese, 
optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil for the macaroni noodles, adding a large pinch of kosher salt. Boil according to package directions, drain and set aside. Reserve the powdered cheese sauce package - you will be stirring that in later.

In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion, green and red pepper and sauté until tender. Toss in garlic and sauté just a bit longer, but to avoid bitterness, do not scorch. Add ground beef and cook until browned, breaking it up as you go. Drain off any fat from meat mixture if necessary and then return it to the pan. Stir in chili powder and seasoned salt.

Add the cheese packet and diced tomatoes to the meat mixture, stir until mixed thoroughly, taste and adjust seasonings as needed; add the pasta. Spray a 9 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour meat and pasta mixture in. Sprinkle the top lightly with just enough cheese to add a bit of flavor if desired, and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Variation:  Substitute one (10 ounce) can of Rotel tomatoes, undrained plus 1 small can (8 ounce) tomato sauce for the can of diced tomatoes.


Happy cooking! 



No comments:

Post a Comment