Monday, March 19, 2012

Mom Must-haves

Since we are welcoming a new baby into our home soon, I've been doing some re-evaluating when it comes to essential baby items. I love reading posts about moms' must-haves, so I thought I'd share a few things with you that we love in the Nevels house. Obviously bottles/sippy cups and pacifiers were/are still a part of our everyday needs, as well. There are just a gazillion different types, and I've found everyone seems to find a type that they like. I also condensed the list down to some things that have not only saved us money, but a few are recommendations I've received from other moms that I didn't know about pre-babies.

Wal-Mart Diapers
A few months ago, my friend, Lauren, was raving about how these are all she uses with her kids. I was skeptical at first, but decided I'd give them a go (84 diapers for around $13 seemed like a good enough reason to try them out). Boy am I ever glad we did. Not only do I like them better than Huggies and Pampers, we now save a heap on diapers each month. I do still use Huggies overnight for nighttime, but these hold up super great throughout the day. 

Beudreax's All Natural Butt Paste
Ok, I realize I'm probably the 4 billionth mom to love this stuff, but I have to say I'm a new found fan of it. Is it weird that I always thought it was just a cute gift to give expectant moms? I truly thought it was probably not all that effective, just a cleverly named diaper rash cream. However, Sophie randomly started getting diaper rashes around 6 months, and after trying approximately 54 different diaper creams (including some prescription ones), I decided to give this a try. Within 24 hours her rash was gone! I have to say, the key for us was getting the all natural type. The other types seemed to be not as effective.

Aveeno Baby Lotion
My sister introduced me to Aveeno lotion this winter when my girls' skin started to get some dry patches. We get the thick kind that comes in this tube. I was using California Baby lotion for forever (can't get enough of the yummy smell), but it wasn't cutting it for their wintery dry skin along with Johnson and Johnson. This stuff is amazing. Their skin was back to its silky smoothness within a day or so. Only bad part is that it's fragrance free, and I happen to love for my babies to smell like lavender after their bath, but it's well worth it.

Gerber flat fold burp cloths
Obviously it's impossible to burp infants without some type of burp cloth. I was told before we had the girls that we would need around 30 burp cloths if we didn't want to be doing laundry constantly. Turns out, that person was right. I got some as gifts, but decided to purchase some extras. I had planned on getting the tri-fold cloth diapers that you always see, but by accident, grabbed a bunch of the flat fold cloth diapers at Walmart. Turns out, I'm so happy I did! I actually like them way better than the tri-fold ones. I felt like the tri-fold ones were tricky to get to stay on your shoulder, harder to use when wiping up spit-up, and overall just thicker and more awkward to use. I love these so much we still keep 4-5 in a drawer in our coffee table for spilled milk, drool, runny noses, etc. This seems like such a weird thing to be picky about, but it really made a big difference to us as much as we used them (for the record, I would have loved to have had 30 of the Aden and Anais ones if money weren't an option!).

Boon Drying Rack
So much prettier than the ugly white bottle drying rack I had forever. And now holds all of our sippy cups, as well for easy access. And you bet your butt I won't be using a bottle sterilizer this time, either (what are dishwashers for?). Don't ask, but the crazy first time mom in me thought it wasn't as effective as steam sterilizing the girls' bottles. So call me a lazy mom, but no more crazy sterilizing for me.


If we're being honest, along with bottles, pacifiers, swaddles/sleep sacks, and clothing, are there that many other items you use on a daily basis with your baby? I fully support minimalism when it comes to babies. 

I'd also love to hear any of your mommy secrets/must-haves! Feel free to share...

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment