Wednesday, November 20, 2013

S + C Big Girl Room

I think I can officially say that the girls' big girl room is finally complete. I think. With my inkling to change and rearrange things, there's a good chance I'll add something here or rearrange something there, but overall, it is finished. Which is a feat in itself considering we've lived in our house for almost 3 years and I'm not sure I can say that about any of the other rooms in our house. It was fun putting it altogether, the girls still love their room, and I think we did it pretty economically.  


Miss Campbell Jane's side of the room. Both girls' sides of the room are basically the same with a few of their "quirks" incorporated onto each shelf. Since Campbell has a favorite dress she loves to wear at all times, I had to have this book for her shelf. I re-framed the ballerina prints from their nursery because I love them so, and am still a sucker for sentimentalism (my mom grew up with these prints in her room). When I think about the fact that the room is really divided pretty evenly down the middle, I'm always reminded of that Full House episode where DJ and Stephanie actually draw a line down the center of their room. I'm quite certain we are only a few months away from this happening in their room.


A friend of mine with a little girl the girls' age put a mirror at her eye level in her new big girl room and I knew I had to do the same! It turned out to be a great call since both girls have loved checking themselves out in it (and maybe Burke too). 


We moved both girls' Pottery Barn chairs into their room to save some space in the living room, and my sister found these darling bins at Marshall's. Campbell keeps all of her dress up duds in hers, Sophie keeps her favorite books in hers (Thomas included). I knew I had wanted to find some cute non-Thomas train print for her side of the room, so I was thrilled when I found a quarter of this pink train fabric on Etsy for just $3! I had a seamstress turn it into a little pillow. It's been a big hit and can usually be found in bed with her at night. And that rocker in the background? Both girls still insist on being rocked for a few minutes before bedtime. The emo mom in me just can't say no.



For Sophie's side, I knew I wanted some type of quote that was a nod to her fiery personality. I fell in love with this Kate Spade quote I saw in a boutique ($50 alone for an 8 X 10 print, no thanks), and then got the idea to use my stamps to re-create it. Be Happy, Be Bright, Be You. I hope my little fire cracker always remembers this. With her love of horses (my father-in-law's pony to be exact), I thought the spotted horse figure was appropriate, as well. 


The bookshelf. Obviously they keep their books and some toys in the bottom, but I also have some of my sisters' and my Dr. Suess collection from when we were little, as well as my collection of American Girl Doll books and my old American Girl doll (Samantha). I have a small, unrealistic fantasy that this might in some way help us postpone the madness that is American Girl dolls (HA).

Don't think Sophie still doesn't wear her dragon costume on a daily basis.


And the TV. Don't get me started. It was our desperate attempt to get the girls to calm down and not turn their room into a crazy college dorm room before naps/bedtime. Which it quickly turned into once their cribs were out of the picture. We limited it to 20-30 min before naps/bedtime and it has helped (but not eliminated entirely) their tendency to run wild instead of sleeping. Will we ever win this battle? Probably not. 


Their dresser/nightstand would not be complete without Millie Fierce. This might hold the place as their most favorite book of all time. I can't believe they haven't gone into shock since we had to return it to the library after maybe setting a record for the longest checked out book in the history of the Edmond Public Library. Maybe if they're really good Santa might bring them their very own copy...


This shot my father-in-law captured of them while they were staying with them one weekend is still one of my faves. They're really growing up too fast. 



A friend found the mirror for me at Home Depot when I was decorating the girls' nursery, and I still love it! Painting on the left found by my sister at where else but Marshall's, and the one on the right she painted. I definitely missed out on the artist gene. 


If you're looking for a great Christmas gift for your little lady, my sweet mother-in-law got them these little jewelry boxes from Pottery Barn Kids for their birthday. They come complete with a key and musical, twirling ballerina. The girls adore them!




Campbell in her favorite dress, Sophie pant-less wearing her "Funder shirt." In case you were wondering, they picked out their outfits themselves. 

So there you have it. I'm definitely no interior decorator, but all three of us girls love hanging out in there. 

Here are a few sources if you're wondering:

Comforter // Monogram Pillow // Roman shades made by Vu in Edmond // Green foo dogs from One Kings Lane (no longer available) // Rug (cut into a sheepskin shape by me) // Sheets from Target (not available online) // Lamp from Target (no longer available) // Dresser from Mockingbird Manor in 2007 // Jenny Lind antique Beds purchased on Craigslist and re-painted // Initials above bed from Hobby Lobby and re-painted // We also have this pillow case from Land of Nod with plain white sheets because I'm cheap :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment